Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Blog Post 5 GameMaker Game


For my final project, I decided to make a game with my partner, Tony Lam, using game maker studios. At first, I thought this would be a simple task, but I was wrong. There are so many aspects to game design that we had to consider while writing this game. For instance, we had to come up with a story, game play mechanic that will compliment the story, and sprite pictures that go along with the story too. Not only this, it is hard to share the program on game maker. What I mean by this is that, it is not as easy to transfer my program to Tony so that he can edit the program at the same time. Basically, this transferring of program is not like what Tony or I are used to when we program in Java or C++. There's a feature called Github that allows us to share code and we can see the changes the other person made on the code. In game maker studios, there is no feature like this. Anyways, enough about the technical aspect of game maker that I have experienced.

                The game Tony and I wrote is about an person who was experimented on in order to improve his combat capabilities. In order to do this, he battles against zombies that are cake monsters. The game play is like binding of Isaac where movement and fighting is in a twin stick shooter style (move with w a s d keys and attack with the directional keys). Overall, the game came out decent, but I would have like to have a little more time to work on it, in order to improve it. One of the ways to improve it can be to improve the art work for the game. Neither Tony nor I am an artist so this part was a hard for us to handle since we both are programmers. Luckily, Tony came up with some pretty good sprites despite being a beginner.

Link to game: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cvcbl3iq4hxa3k9/FqdUZZ9HjK



No comments:

Post a Comment